Sunday, November 20, 2005

Oprah Show

Uma Thurman

Oprah: I heard a definition many years ago: "Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different." Isn't that a great definition? It just means that when you know better, you do better. If you had known better at that time you would have done better.

At the end of their afternoon tea, Uma asked Meryl one of Oprah's favorite questions: What do you know for sure?

"I know life is short and I'm a lucky woman. I think that you find your own way. You have your own rules. You have your own understanding of yourself, and that's what you're going to count on. In the end, it's what feels right to you. Not what your mother told you. Not what some actress told you. Not what anybody else told you but the still, small voice. Beyond that, I don't know. And it's the not knowing that's the good part. To me, mystery is the most beautiful thing - the fact that you can't figure it out - that's it for me. That's for sure."

Nicole Kidman

"I always go to my grandmother's grave. Actually my father and I walk through the graves together when I go back to Sydney, and we go and see my grandmother's grave and I like it. There's nothing wrong with that. I put flowers and I also like to just go and take flowers to different graves." She says it gives her "a sense of, I suppose, just the cycles of life, you know? And it also puts everything into perspective. It makes you feel actually very small."

Jennifer Aniston

"The other day I was doing yoga with my girlfriend. We finished and we were sitting there stretching and I looked over at her and said, 'You know what? I have to say I have a feeling I don't know if I've ever felt before. I don't want to be anywhere other than where I am right now sitting across from you.' And that means I'm not sitting somewhere dwelling on the past or obsessing about something in the future. It was a feeling of total peace."

Sarah Jessica Parker

"I really think that the substantial things really reveal themselves much more clearly now," she says. "Really what is important to me … is my family and my friends. And my family and my friends are the family that I choose."